You can find the crossword here and the answers below. Feel free to leave any comments or questions here as you would do on TfTT, or via email to Phil at email@example.com.
Compliments of the season to you all! A fairly gentle Jumbo here from two weeks ago but with a bit of sting in the tail. 34A had me scratching my head and resorting to aids.. an unknown word with less than obvious wordplay crossing with a word, 26A, I wouldn't have spelt that way. Otherwise all good stuff, all done in less than 40 minutes. Favourites included 1A, 15A and 25D.
Some brief notes on the wordplay in the clues (I omit the definition parts):
1. PRESS (reporters) [after] E (Ecstasy; drug) [in] DIVE (sleazy joint)
8. (lax)* [at sea] around [catching] O (=0, nothing) LOT (much).
9. GO (depart) [after] DIN (loud noise).
10. Double definition.
11. Homophone [we hear] of TORE (raced) TOYS (Barbie and Mr Potato Head).
13. Triple definition.
14. [Return] BIG -> GIB, B (book) ON. Author of Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.
17. (lad ropes)* [wandering].
19. Reverse [about] hidden [restraining] in Have NO ILlusions.
21. TIER (row) [about] [head of], i.e. first letter of Giant.
22. GAFFE (blunder) [about] IR (Ireland).
23. TOME (book) [about] FOOL (dessert) [on] RY (railway).
2 E (Internet) MOTION (movement).
3 Double definition, the second a cryptic hint
t [incompletely] (season) MON (my in French).
5 Anagram of [most of] (inte
l laid)* [out].
6 First letters of [leads to] Endless Nights Nursing Unbearable Insomnia.
7 (can never go)* [wrong].
8 (elitism as a)* [corruption].
12 HEX (cast spell) A G (good) RAM (sheep).
15 Double definition.
16 A GI (soldier) [in] ADO (trouble).
bOUGHT (purchased) [unopened].
20 Hidden in [not entirely] fOR ALl.